Monday, January 13, 2014

Magically Nutritious Pancakes (Gluten-Free Edition)

Mmmm...stock photo pancakes
Here's the skinny: my kids are as thin as rails. Chocolate chip pancakes are one of the things they will eat with almost 100% certainty...so I make a lot of pancakes (probably three times a week). Tonight, since Prickly Dad had to work late, I decided the boys and I would have bacon and pancakes for dinner (Prickly Dad is not a dinner-for-breakfast kinda guy).

Since I was going to be eating this batch, I made them gluten-free (if the pancakes are strictly for the boys, I'll just use my regular recipe). Regardless of the gluten status, I try to pack as much nutrition into my pancakes as I can. And I do feel good when I see my kids gobble them up.

Prickly Mom's GF Pancakes

1 cup gluten-free flour blend (I usually use Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tbsp sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice (this will react with the baking soda to help form bubbles)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (if desired)

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients. Mix well (unlike regular pancake batter, you want to mix gluten-free batter well). Proceed to cook as you would any pancake batter. These can be eaten like cookies if desired...no plate or syrup required.

Hope your kids like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment