Saturday, October 19, 2013

Maybe They'll Drink Dragon Blood

Several months ago, my mom suggested I buy a high-quality juicer. My boys are pretty poor eaters...thankfully, they like broccoli and apples and baby carrots, and I sneak in some good stuff whenever I make pancakes, but other than that, I worry about what they're not eating.

For a while, I was juicing for them every day--a visually unappealing medley of apples and spinach that I had to strain and put in an opaque cup with a lid. Somewhere along the way, however, I fell off the wagon and was too disheartened to jump back on.

These days I'm obsessing over my own health as well as that of the boys, and finally dusted off the juicer again after I came across this awesome anti-inflammatory juice recipe called Dragon Blood, made of red cabbage (considered a "leafy green" by some), lemon, and pear. It sounded good for me, and come on now: what little boy wouldn't want to drink something called Dragon Blood? (Click on the link above--you have to see the picture.)

In an attempt to make it sweeter for the kids (and to use up the half-head of cabbage in the fridge), I ended up juicing the following:
1/2 head of red cabbage
4 pears
1 whole lemon with rind
2 apples
I have to say, for an adult, it's pretty darn good. I would actually recommend using half a lemon (as stated in the original recipe) and adding some ginger for some added health benefits. Buuuuuut...my four-year old said it smelled good (like pink lemonade), but wouldn't taste it. Here's how I'd make it for them:
1/4 head of cabbage (or less)
4 pears
2 apples
1/2 lemon without rind
I would even consider cutting it with water or mixing with their regular juice (currently Motts for Tots berry flavor).

Another kid-friendly juice I have in the pipeline is Creative Green Living's Green Lemonade. One of these recipes has to hit the boys' sweet spot, right? I just gotta stay positive and keep those opaque cups handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment