Sunday, February 3, 2013

Purple "Pizza" Play Dough

This morning I came across Creative Playhouse's new "One Minute Playdough" recipe. I had just thrown out all our current play dough (I usually use this standard salt recipe) because my five-year-old has some sort of compulsion to break it into pea-sized pieces and spread it all over our play dough area. He then walks away for a while to play with something else (which is okay with me), but when he comes back, it's dry and in desperate need of kneading my an adult to get it back to the right consistency.

Last night, for some reason (probably hormones), I just couldn't stand the sight of all those crumbs anymore, or the thought of cleaning them up again. So instead, they were swept straight into the garbage. They could have been reconstituted (which is one thing I like about homemade play dough), but I was too crazed over the mess at that moment to think straight.

So when I came across this new, one-minute dishsoap-and-flour (or cornstarch) recipe, I decided to try it with conditioner (which I had bought three bottles of by mistake, thinking it was shampoo. Ug). It looked like it might have a less-crumbly consistency, and I have also been looking for a play dough that won't exacerbate our dry skin.

It was easy: 2 cups flour, 1 cup conditioner, 1 tablespoon cooking oil, and food coloring. Knead until it starts getting a stretch to it like bread dough (this is the gluten kicking in...so I apologize to the GF crowd).

When I brought it upstairs to the kids, Bug immediately identified it as "pizza dough" and started making a pizza for me (with leftover red play dough "tomatoes"). So far, there has been no pea-pinching of said new play dough, and the boys seem to like it.

So far, so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment