Thursday, July 5, 2012

Lavender Sparkle Play Dough

I've been making an effort to actually do some of the activities I've pinned on my "Stuff to Do with the Kids" board on Pinterest...on Monday we made sidewalk paint, yesterday we did some sorting activities, and today we made play dough.

My last batch of homemade play dough was of the Kool-Aid variety. It was bright blue and smelled of raspberries--but it didn't match our neutral family-room carpet. (We need a new carpet up there, so I'm not that upset about the ground-in globs.) I decided it might behoove me to color the play dough bluish-gray this time; so to make up for the boring color, I added some soothing essential oil and glitter and introduced it to the boys as "Lavender Sparkle." They're loving it!

Lavender Sparkle Play Dough Recipe
2 c flour
2 c water
1/2 c salt
4 t cream of tartar
2 T vegetable oil
10 drops each blue and red food coloring
1 t lavender essential oil
2 T glitter

Mix all ingredients except essential oil and glitter in a medium saucepan. Whisk over low heat until mixture forms a ball (about five minutes), remove from heat. Turn mixture onto a cookie sheet, let cool slightly, then knead until smooth. Knead in essential oil and glitter. Store in airtight container once cool.

1 comment: