Saturday, November 17, 2012

Today Is (Non-Soylent) Green Day

Soylent Green (1973).
I could have decided to call the days Pie Day and Bug Day (using their real names, of course). Or Big Brother Day and Little Brother Day. But Bug's favorite color happens to be green, and I couldn't resist the Soylent Green reference. So it's been Green Day and Yellow Day (Pie's favorite color).

So, what the heck am I talking about? Every single morning, the boys argue about who's going to get his socks and shoes on first (I still help them). And then who's going to get his coat on first. Then who's going to get in the car first. It. Never. Ends. So a few days ago, I decided to check off another item on my "37 Tips for Frazzled Moms" list and institute the "I get to go first/choose" plan.

"Guess what, you guys!" I said in the most excitable voice I could muster, "Here's what we're going to do, starting tomorrow. When it's Green Day, Bug will put on his shoes and coat first, choose what to watch on TV, and pick out the bedtime story. On Yellow Day, Pie will get to go first and make the choices!"

They were, and still are, so into it! Sure there's still arguing every single day, but now I just have to remind them of which color day it is (or one of them reminds the rest of us). They're actually learning to take turns. I'm glad I finally gave it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Perfect age to start this! And it's nice that they can share different days!

    ReplyDelete