Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Long Weekend: Is It Over Yet?

The stars totally misaligned this past week. There was a major booger-fest (with a cough) that began last weekend and kept Bug and Pie home from school Monday and Tuesday. I had a brief kid-less respite Wednesday and Thursday to get some bare-bones housework and shopping done (as well as some bare-bones "me time" to veg out in front of CourtTV and the ridiculous Jodi Arias testimony and stuff my face with Valentine's Day chocolate). Then it was all over: I was face to face with a four-day weekend (what the boys' school calls "Mid-Winter Break"). To make matters worse, Prickly Dad is working this weekend...and now we're feeling under the weather.

As of right now (Saturday night), Prickly Family has made it halfway through! I wanted to share some of the things I've done with the boys during the past 48 hours (because I'm sure there are many other moms out there running out of ideas).

Prickly Mom's Long Weekend Time-Wasters
  • Spend four hours at the nearest Chick-fil-A play-land
  • Take the covers off the couch cushions (to wash them), and tell the kids they have to sit on clouds now (my cushions are covered with fluffy white batting)
  • Let them take a 45-minute shower
  • Let the kids comb and style your hair (especially if you have boys)
  • Read the same book as many times as your little guy wants (today it was The Monster at the End of this Book, and it was four times)
  • DJ a bedroom dance party (they dance around, you get to sit down) (FYI, according to Pie, "Locked Out of Heaven" is cool. "Diamonds in the Sky" is not cool)
  • Show them Devo's "Whip It" video (circa 1980) and tell them how you and your siblings used to put on un-folded turtlenecks and flower-pot hats and rock out.
So that leaves 48 hours to go. What are you and your littles doing this weekend? Please share!

(P.S. We'd totally be making this super slide if I hadn't just thrown out the huge cardboard box that my new boot tray came in. I need to order something else big. Hmmm...a kitchen table?)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the perfect long weekend to me. We love dance parties too! And Amen to super long baths and showers!!! We love Chick Fil-A to play too but I have to time it just right.

    ReplyDelete